Sunday, February 10, 2008

A Prophet of God.


Gordon B. Hinckley was born on June 23, 1910, in Salt Lake City. He spent 46 years in service as a leader in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 12 of which as the 15th President. He traveled to 60 countries, dedicated 95 of the 124 temples, some on sites that he himself had surveyed and selected. President Hinckley was definately a modern Prophet for the people, making Mormonism more familiar to the public and more accepted in the Christian fold. On March 12, 1995 he was ordained as the 15th President and Prophet of the Church, the same year he issued a proclomation on the family. Of all his accomplishments in this life, and the spiritual giant that he was, I feel that one of his greatest traits was the love in his heart. He loved the people of the church, he loved the people not in the church, he loved the youth. He taught patience, love, and charity. He taught the importance of family, and the sacredness of motherhood, and he loved the Savior. Around 7pm on Sunday January 27, 2008 President Gordon B. Hinckley passed away in his home surrounded by family. His death is a loss to the world, as he was an amazing man and leader. One of his greatest messages was that our lives should be the symbol of our faith, just as his very life was a symbol of faith to us. Personally, I never got to shake his hand like I always wanted to but I did see him many times while I served my mission on Temple Square in Salt Lake City, Utah. It made me sad when I had heard that he passed away but then a smile came to my face as I realized that he was reunited with his beloved sweetheart who passed away in April of 2004 and had been waiting patiently to see him again. What a wonderful gift it is to have a living Prophet on the earth, and even though President Hinckley will be greatly missed, instead of being sad, we should celebrate his life. So, here's to the reunion that just took place in heaven just a few days ago!

1 comment:

Sarah Turpin said...

I love blogs!! I am so happy to see you have one! I hope your doing great!